On a hillside outside the gates of Montefalco, lies the Colle Ciocco vineyard, run by the Spacchetti family. From the vineyard, there is a view over a string of hill towns built on the slopes of the surrounding mountains: Spello, Assisi “the birthplace of Saint Francis”, Perugia “Augusta” and Spoleto “Città Ducale”, home to “the Festival of the Two Worlds”.
In the valley below, where the Clitunno river runs, there are numerous medieval towers, castles and several cities renowned for their art. Framed by oak trees whose changing colours mark the seasons, Colle Ciocco is lined with olive groves and vineyards. Old earth-coloured farmhouses, bell towers and ancient churches punctuate the verdant countryside. On the east, silhouetted against the sky, are the pink-coloured walls of Montefalco. Montefalco is marked by a forbidding watchtower at its main gate, and domed roofs that hark back to the noble past of a town sought after by emperors and popes alike.
Settimio Spacchetti established the farm in 1935 and today it is run by his sons Lamberto and Eliseo. It covers 19 hectares, 8 hectares of Sagrantino and other grapes and 9 hectares of olive groves. The farm lies 400 metres above sea level. In Colle Ciocco’s cellar, the grapes become wine: dry and sweet versions of “Sagrantino”, “Montefalco Red”, the white “Clarignano”, “Tempestivo” and “Montefalco White”.